November 1, 2014

Cinnamon Pine Cones

I love the smell of cinnamon but the ones in the store seem to ware out faster than I would like so this year I decided to try to make my own! Not only is this an easy craft, its frugal since you can get the cones from a nature walk.

If you pick up your cones from the yard bake them on 200 or lower, for about 2 hours. This opens them up and also will kill any bugs on the inside.



Once cleaned up and bug free, toss the pine cones in large ziplocks or something similar.

To make the spritz you need essential oil and alcohol. Just combine in a bottle and spritz the pine cones heavily. Shake the baggie to evenly coat. NOW add in cinnamon powder, or other spices to add even more fragrance. Shake again.

I would imagine you could use different fragrances and such, as this is a simple process. However I love Cinnamon during the holidays. 

The cones will need to sit for 4 - 6 weeks - why we are starting now! Put them in an area you pass by and shake them periodically to re-coat them. They smell heavenly off the bat, but leave them to soak til Thanksgiving to make sure the sent sticks!


No comments:

Post a Comment